Thalia's Daughters

A weblog for English 6365: Women Onstage in the Long Eighteenth Century, at UNB.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Blogging for grad students

or "gradual students," as one of my friends used to tease me when I was going through my programme.

Here is a post that discusses professionalization as one reason that graduate students might blog.

Some grad students' blogs:
As well as Scot Barnett's schizzes and flows, there are
The Long Eighteenth (Carrie Shanafelt, the founder, is a grad student, as are some of the other participants. Carrie is also one of the three authors of 18th-Century Reading Room)
Kari Krause at accidentals and substantives recently defended.
The anonymous White Bear is a grad student.
Scott Eric Kaufman at Acephalous and The Valve
Sharon Howard began blogging as a doctoral student, though she defended a couple of years ago now. (There are several people who were in grad school when I started reading them, who are now finished and still blogging.)
Kristine Steenbergh is a doctoral student.
Kristine Brorson at Historiological Notes
Amanda Watson at Household Opera is studying for her MSLIS.
Brandon Watson recently defending his doctorate in Philosophy.
Julie Meloni at No Fancy Name
Daily Reads and Random Thoughts

And, some local talent: A Ratboy's Notebook, Mr. Kong's Parlour,
Anne Ryan's Familiar Letters, and former UNB student Andrea L.'s Letters from the Rock.

This is very partial; a taste, more than a list. (Anyone stopping by, feel free to add blogs in the comments. And, bloggers, I have only used your full name if it is readily accessible on your blog, though I am happy to change or remove any of these citations).

6 Comments:

Blogger X said...

I have a question: how does one gain celebrity in the blogosphere? I don't plan on starting another one, but I'm curious as to how news of these gets out in the first place.

10/17/2006 9:01 p.m.  
Blogger Miriam Jones said...

I have a blog about blogging, and there are some links to tips there. Or Google and you will find articles of various usefulness. But the bottom line: to get traffic on your blog you need to visit other blogs and leave comments. Start to link to the blogs you like, in your sidebar. (But be judicious here; visit a blog for awhile or read a fair bit of it before you link.) The bloggers you visit and link to will at the very least pay your blog a visit, and you have made the first steps in expanding your blogging community.

10/17/2006 9:11 p.m.  
Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Oh, and there are various sites that keep track of new blogs and new posts. And sites where you can go and categorize your blog so that people looking for blogs on, say, knitting or foreign policy (or knitting and foreign policy), can find what they are interested in. I have links to a couple in the sidebar of my blog; check out other blogs as you surf and see where they link.

10/17/2006 9:14 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put a map on my blog that points out where ppl are accessing it from. I don't know how they find my blog, maybe they are searcing for 18th century?

10/18/2006 2:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Miriam & cool class: thanks for including me in your list, despite the fact I talk more about cats, food, and technology than I do school!

10/18/2006 9:12 p.m.  
Blogger Brenna said...

Oh! I have a blog!

http://fiftypercentninja.wordpress.com/

10/24/2006 11:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home